Any customer who has continuously operating, electric-powered medical equipment at home that is necessary to sustain life or avoid serious medical complications may request designation on their account if equipment is present and being used. Electric service may be essential if:
- The customer is dependent on electric-powered equipment that must be operated continuously, or
As circumstances require, as specified by a physician to avoid:
- The loss of life, or
- Serious medical complications requiring immediate hospitalization.
- Special notification before disconnection of service due to nonpayment.
- Special notification of planned power outages.
- Medical Necessity Designation does not guarantee uninterrupted service, and it does not exempt customers from payment of their electric bills.
- The customers are responsible for backup equipment and/or power supply.
- In the event of power outages, the customer is personally responsible for a planned course of action.
- Customers should have their physician or medical supply company send us a signed letter stating that they or a household member are using electrically powered medical equipment and the duration prescribed.
NOTE: The customer must provide Minnesota power with certification on an annual basis.
Submit signed letter to:
Attn: Customer Service – Medical Necessity Customer Service – Medical Necessity
30 W Superior St
Duluth, MN 55802
If this is an emergency, call 911 immediately.
Having trouble with outage reporting on the web? We are ready for your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-30-POWER (307-6937).