Community Solar Garden
Minnesota Power’s first community solar garden, to be generating electricity late this year, will be a simple way for customers to participate in solar without the need to install a system on their own home or business. It’s a safe, flexible and convenient choice for customers who want to go solar but either rent or don’t have a location that is well-suited to generating electricity from the sun.
Customers will have three options for participating:
- Fixed charge for each kilowatt-hour of solar energy produced from a subscription. The customer purchases all the solar energy produced from their subscribed amount of capacity.
- Fixed monthly subscription fee, which is essentially the upfront payment financed over the length of the contract. The customer receives a bill credit for the energy produced from their subscription. This option is comparable to a rooftop installation financed over time.
- Upfront payment. Subscribers pay a onetime fee and receive a monthly energy credit of kilowatt-hours based on their subscription. This option is most comparable to a traditional rooftop solar installation.
The following link will bring you to the customer agreement. You can fill it out to get your subscription to the garden.
Interested or need more information?
For more information join our interest list. Follow the link below and fill out the form. A Minnesota Power representative will contact you with more information for your specific questions and needs.
Minnesota Power Community Solar Pilot Program FAQs
What is a community solar garden (CSG)?
Who can participate?
How much does it cost to participate?
Customers can choose from three options: an upfront one-time payment, a fixed monthly subscription fee or a fixed charge per kilowatt-hour.
- Upfront payment: $2,132.15 per kilowatt.
- Monthly subscription fee: $15.62 a month per kilowatt.
- Fixed charge per kilowatt-hour: 11 cents per kilowatt-hour.
All of the options are based on 25-year agreements, but customers will have the flexibility to leave the program at any time without penalty.
The cost for a residential customer who typically uses about 750 kilowatt-hours a month and wants to replace their current energy with solar energy will range from about $81 for a customer that chooses a monthly subscription fee to about $95 a month for a customer that chooses a fixed charge per kilowatt-hour. Subscriptions will be offered in 1-kilowatt blocks and customers will be able to choose to purchase enough to cover all or a portion of their monthly electricity needs.
Where will the CSG be located?
For more information call 218-355-3720, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.