Portable Electric Space Heaters
Do portable electric space heaters really reduce your heating bill drastically?
While these heaters can help to heat a small area, they are not meant to heat your entire home. The money they cost to operate often doesn't equal out to overall energy savings. Check out the facts below before you choose a space heating option.
Running a 1,500 watt space heater 8 hours a day for 30 days will cost approximately $29!
- A 1,500 watt space heater costs approximately 14 cents to run for an hour.
- A 1,500 watt space heater puts out the same amount of heat and uses the same amount of energy regardless of whether the unit costs $40 or $400.
All electric heaters have three basic functionalities:
- They convert one watt of electricity into 3.4 BTUs of heat.
- The power of a portable electric space heater is limited to 1,500 watts or 5,120 BTUs per hour.
- "Special" features such as resistance coils, ceramic quartz tubes or quartz lights DO NOT increase the amount of heat produced.
When buying and installing an electric space heater, you should follow these general safety guidelines:
- Electric heaters should be plugged directly into the wall outlet. Always check and follow manufacturer's instructions.
- Buy a unit with a tip-over safety switch, which automatically shuts off the heater if the unit is tipped over.
Maybe It's Time for a Free Home Energy Analysis
If you are experiencing drafts in the winter or uneven temperatures between rooms, it may be time for a free Home Energy Analysis. A qualified energy auditor will help you find out how to get the most for your energy dollar.
You'll learn how to optimize your electric usage by changing the way you use appliances through day-to-day choices, how to determine the "right fit" for investments in energy-saving equipment, heating and cooling, appliances and lighting, and how to take advantage of Minnesota Power's rebates.
Visit our Home Energy Analysis page to get more information and to learn how to sign up for your free Home Energy Analysis today!